Saturday, September 8, 2012

I had been looking for a different hike when I rememberd a recent trip to Griffith Observatory a few months back. I remebered seeing almost as many people headed for the trailhead at one end of the parking lot as there was headed to the obaservatory. I said to myself that I wanted to see what was at the top of that hill. I set out on a friday morning, arriving at about 9:30 in the morning. The parking lot had a few dozen cars but I was able to get a parking space not more than 50 feet from the trailhead.
The temprature was a warm 78 degrees as I threw my camelbak on and headed up the trail. A very leisurely walk up the trail and you realize how diverse the users are. I passed walkers and runner of all ages and sizes. I passed people with dogs and saw evidence of horses having been on the trail. I even saw a guy in his mid 50's wearing slacks, a golf shirt and a pair of dress shoes that cost more than my camera; all enjoying the mid morning weather a n a beautifully maintained trail. As you will see in the picture the air quality was not the best.
I Cant wait to come back in the fall when there is just enough wind to blow the valley clear. I am willing to bet this would make a nice sunset hike also. This guide is for the Mt. Hollywood loop and a side trip over to Dante's View,
just cause it looked like a cool trail to a small peak. As always bring plenty of water, and a hat to protect you from the sun as there is very little shade after the first 1/4 mile or so. The trail does have a couple of spots that will make your calves say "hello" but it is mostly a flat uphill walk (edit) Tips: Check for other events and attractions within the park at http://www.laparks.org/dos/parks/griffithPK/index.htm or events and hours of operation for the Obsevatory at http://www.griffithobs.org/ and remeber that if there is an event at the Greek Theater http://www.greektheatrela.com/ there could be a long line of cars to deal with. (edit) Tags: Mt. Hollywood, griffith park (edit)

No comments: